Today Show Reveals Moms' Deepest Secrets
Every once in a while a study comes out with breaking news: Moms are not always happy! We have secrets! Moms need alone time!
The Today Show recently did a large-scale study with parenting.com which promoted incredible headlines such as: Moms Medicate Their Kids For Peace and Quiet; Moms Would Rather Sleep Than Have Sex; Moms Are Overwhelmed!
No kidding. You don't need to ask 26,000 women to get those results. Just head on down to my house and I will invite two friends over.
Some of the other findings include:
- 45 percent of moms would rather lose 15 pounds than add 15 more IQ points to their child
- Nearly one in five moms have medicated their child to get through a plane ride or other event; one in 12 does it just to get peace and quiet
- Almost half of moms have sent a sick kid to school
- Most moms, 85 perent, have used their child to get out of a social obligation
- One tenth of moms wishes their children were the opposite gender; over half of those are moms to boys
- One third of moms use work as an excuse to avoid taking care of the kids
- A quarter of moms fear that their partner is a better parent
I have to admit surprise at the weight loss over IQ points, but the others? Meh. I talk to moms every day. I have a mother's group where we discussed avoiding sex in detail and I have close friends who hear and tell everything.
The idea of mom confessions is becoming increasingly popular. And I have to wonder, do we really keep that much secret? Or is this just another media tool? The survey once again reinforced the idea that moms feel alone and overwhelmed. I will admit to that - I don't consider that a mom confession. Do you?
What do you think of the findings?
Want more chaos? Last year, I wrote about the Parent Television Council's idea of profanity.